Saturday, October 18, 2008

Walking, second try.

Today was the big walk day. Yes the ACTUAL day when all of the rest of the walkers were there. I got an unexpected surprise. The boys decided to walk with me! Pat is at scout leadership training for the weekend so the boys and I have been hanging out, just the three of us. The walk went well, and at last check had raised over $72,000.00 for the American Cancer Society for breast cancer!

We had a rather interesting experience on the ride home from downtown Grand Rapids. The highway we use to get home parallels the Grand River. As I glance over to the east, I notice movement out of the corner of my eye. I realize what is going on and alert the boys to the situation. By this time, I am having trouble keeping track of the traffic on the highway and the action on my right.

I can hardly believe what is going on, but I am keeping pace with a seaplane that is coming in for a landing on the river! As we watched the plane land and leave a trail of spray in its wake, Spence announces, “…and they say nothing exciting ever happens in Grand Rapids!”

Well, it sure was exciting for us!

P.S. The newspaper reported $150k raised with over 2000 walkers! (edited 10/20/2008)

1 comment:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Right day and time and everything? Hooray!

An excellent cause, and that's so cool the boys came too.