Thursday, October 23, 2008

Michael Pollan interview

The other day I was driving around town and heard the beginning of an interview with Michael Pollan. I was so excited because I love to hear his views. Unfortunately, before it was over, I had to get out of the car. I was elated when I found out that I could find the interview online.

The subject of this interview is a letter he wrote explaining why our food and farming system is one of the most important issues facing the next president. It was very enlightening.

If you are interested in listening to it you can get it from HERE or you can get it as a podcast from iTunes (NPR-Fresh Air-10-20-2008) The interview lasts about 40 minutes. Here is NPR's blurb about the interview.


In a open letter to the next president, author Michael Pollan writes about the waning health of America's food systems — and warns that "the era of cheap and abundant food appears to be drawing to a close."

The future president's food policies, says Pollan, will have a large impact on a wide range of issues, including national security, climate change, energy independence and health care.

Pollan is the author of The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History Of Four Meals and In Defense OF Food: An Eater's Manifesto.

Instead of me rehashing his words, I encourage you to listen to the interview. The first time I heard him speak was what really got me interested in eating more whole, unprocessed food. I don't know how successful I am with that, but at least I am working at heading in that direction.

No comments: