Thursday, December 18, 2008

Resolutions, Already?


These past few days I have been thinking about people. Specifically, how the people I meet affect me and how I can learn from them. Before you click over to another, more interesting blog…


I want to tell you about a woman I knew that died unexpectedly at an early age. Her name was Veronica. Tonight I was talking about Veronica and that one of the things that was said at her funeral was that when she was talking to you, it was as if no one else existed. I experienced that with her. I wasn't a close friend by any means, but during the few conversations I had with her I was the center of her world while we were talking.


I was moved to immense levels of grief when she died. I barely knew her. However, on occasion, I had been the center of her universe. I knew I never would be again.


It is important that we treat each other with that same consideration. During the Christmas season, focusing on others should be the norm.


The most profound concept of this entire situation with Veronica is that her giving of herself always uplifted the recipient. It never uplifted or glorified her.


A goal. Something to attain to. Focusing on others.


Is it "New Year's Resolution" time yet? Why wait?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! just stopped by your blog and saw this one. I think you are right that it should be the norm!
Wishing you a Merry Christmas! Hope you enjoy your time with your family.