Thursday, February 5, 2009

The “helpful” list


 

Recently one of my friends remarked that I should make a list of things that I have l learned or are trying to do during my convalescence that could encourage or enlighten someone in the same plight. Here's my list.


 

  1. Putting on a smile is generally more useful than putting on makeup.
  2. Keep cash (especially small bills) on hand so that if you need someone to pick something up you can pay them on the spot.
  3. When people offer to do something for you, let them. It makes THEM feel good and helps you, too.
  4. Keep a running grocery list so that if someone offers to pick something up for you, you know what to ask for.
  5. Keep a running "to-do list" so that if someone stops by and asks, "Do you need me to do anything for you?" you don't forget until after they leave that your plants needed watering.
  6. Seek help from organizations in your community. A friend found out that I don't have a shower on the main floor and made arrangements with the local YMCA for me to take showers there until I am able to get upstairs to my own shower, for free! Priceless.
  7. Push yourself to succeed. You can be your own best ally or your own worst enemy. The choice is up to you alone.
  8. If someone else is willing to coordinate meals, cleaning, or other services for you, let them. It is one less thing to worry about.
  9. Be prepared to be grateful for casseroles. It is how people express their love.
  10. Don't beat yourself up for not accomplishing everything on today's "to-do list". You couldn't do it before, what makes you think you can accomplish it now!
  11. If you are on pain medication, eat lots of fiber. Then eat some more. Wash it down with a little prune juice. Trust me, you'll thank me for this advice later.
  12. Keep a list of when you take your medications. It all starts to blend together after a while.
  13. Keep paper and pen by your phone. You can write a note if you are awakened from a nap and might otherwise forget the information.
  14. Call your friends. They want to hear from you.
  15. Remember to ask your friends how they are doing. It keeps you focused on something other than your own issues and will encourage your friends to visit you again.

5 comments:

KellytheKitchenKop.com said...

This is PERFECT, Holly!!! It will help so many through the coming years, I'm sure.

PizzaMaster said...

As the husband I'd like to add that while it's tough to accept help, it's important to accept it. We need to let others bless us, because God set it up so that when someone blesses us, they are blessed. So Cool! Pat

Anonymous said...

Love the list! I only have to disagree with the makeup thingy....I always feel better with my face done. I'm too fair-colored and I fade away! ; )

Anonymous said...

I think that it's amazing that you could come up with a helpful and coherent list AND spell convolessence correctly! You are amazing and seeing you gracefully and confidently face each day is very inspiring to this cracked pot.

green mom for Jesus said...

Great, Holly.
Thanks for the insight.